School shootings have been increasing in recent years. As reported by the Sandy Hook Promise organization, the U.S. has recorded 1,316 school shootings from 1970 to 2021. The frequency of incidents is rising, and 18% of the shootings have taken place since 2012. Active shooter insurance provides educators and schools with systems to prepare and cope with this tragic reality.
The objective of a specialized insurance plan is to minimize exposure to active shooter events. Among the programs an active shooter insurance policy offers are:
1. Primary Coverage
Active shooter protection for U.S. education providers includes:
- Liability insurance with crisis management services.
- Primary coverage for indemnity and expenses.
2. Risk Management
U.S. Dept. of Homeland Security research shows that knowing the signs of gun violence can prevent it and reverse the trend.
- An active shooter insurance policy has an event responder provision to provide risk management services. Members of the event responder team visit the insured’s campus and conduct an Active Shooter and Security Vulnerability Assessment.
- The risk management team presents Active Shooter Safety Action Plan Seminars.
3. Crisis Management Response Team
An active shooter insurance program dedicates a team of professionals to partner with educators.
- Immediate response with 24/7/365 telephone access.
- Supportive network to help an education provider through a catastrophic event.
The good news is that communities are courageously addressing the epidemic of school shootings. Students and educators are learning how to identify at-risk behaviors and intervene to get help. Active shooter insurance is another powerful early prevention tool to empower educators and keep schools safe.