What You Need To Know About Host Liquor Liability

What You Need To Know About Host Liquor Liability

If you run your own restaurant or other business and regularly serve alcohol to guests, you may have certain liability risks to be aware of. Depending on your state, your business could potentially be liable for any damage or injuries caused by intoxicated patrons. If you’re wondering whether you need host liquor liability insurance, here are a few important facts to keep in mind.

There Are Different Types of Liquor Liability Insurance

Alcohol misuse and resulting incidents can cause not only property damage but high medical bills due to injuries caused by intoxicated people as well. If you’re looking for a policy to protect your company against these costs, you have two main options:

  • Host liquor liability insurance – if you do not sell or serve alcohol but allow patrons to consume it, you may still face certain liabilities
  • Liquor liability insurance – if you sell or serve alcohol, you may need to cover legal expenses for patrons’ behavior

While host coverage is often included in general policies, you’ll want to double-check.

You Can Get a General or Standalone Policy

Depending on your needs, you can purchase liquor liability insurance with general policy or as a standalone. Before making your choice, make sure your policy addresses your specific situation to protect your assets.

If your business serves or sells alcohol, or allows its consumption on-premises, you may need liquor liability insurance to protect your company. Keep these facts in mind and you can find the coverage you need.